Thursday, June 3, 2010

placebo, analysis of songs/cd hoarding

Is anyone else a massive fan of Placebo? Yes? I've listened to Meds and their best of collection in the last 24 hours and am remembering how much I loved them. The fact that I love songs with fucked up themes/mental illness/drug addiction so much is disturbing...especially because most of these songs I loved before I even understood them.

For example:
Placebo - Special K (also Every Me, Every You)
Silverchair - Ana's Song
Alanis Morisette - Perfect & Mary jane, actually many songs off 'Jagged Little Pill'

all of these I remember loving in PRIMARY SCHOOL and it wasn't until my teenage years I realised how screwed up that was. Is it just that I'm a music freak/partially still screwed up that I try and over-analyse why I like such songs? Because I'm sure plenty of other kids my age (21) remember liking these songs as well, they just don't attach significance to it?

Yesterday I bought two cds, just two I've been meaning to add to my real (as opposed to iTunes) collection: Emilianna Torrini - Fisherman's Woman and Adele - 19. I'm disliking JB Hi Fi more and more every time I go there; they have half the stuff they used to, half their alternative collection is full of 'bargains' and the majority of their staff are....an interesting mix, but ultimately most just have no idea. Then again when I go to Polyester Records in the city I don't feel cool enough to be there, as though I'm trying to hard when I spend $200 in one transactions, and that the owner thinks I'm just trying to educate myself and actually know nothing about the cds I'm buying. Which is somewhat true, but, man, I'm a uni student, $200 is my weekly income, I wouldn't spend that much if I'd at least heard one song off the cd. Then again, I realised yet that it's an issue when one starts thinking to themselves:

'I'd better not buy that, because I'm not sure if I already have it at home'

I know it's old news, but I have 1800 + 2500 words to write. I have work from 11:30-5:30 and I need to book in somewhere to get my eyebrows waxed, pronto. And half leg. But that doesn't matter so much as I wear only stockings and full-leg pants. Fuck. Fuck. And I need to clean up my desk/floor. I think tonight calls for (after I watch Glee: it's worth me downing some long blacks and perhaps an apple & walnut scroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment