Monday, August 16, 2010

personality disorders & strawberry jam (animal collective)

As the title implies, anyone reading out of a mental health textbook & listening to an experimental/psychedelic pop band at 10am on a Monday morning is just, well, cool. ie, I am uber cool. Anyway. The more I read of personality disorders the more paranoid I am about having one, because in only one summary (2 pages, with 2 columns of writing in really small font per page) have I been able to think to myself 'no, that's definitely not me'). Although I don't have any type of erractic/impulsive behaviour (well, yes to impulsive but not really, not more than the average person I think), I WAS a really strange child. But lots of people are strange without having a disorder? I keep mentally thinking to myself, 'relax, you wouldn't be able to study, get a university degree, or function in general if you had some sort of personality disorder.' Is the fact that I'm questioning my mental health something that happens to everyone studying the topic? FUCK. Then again, most people who study psychology are fucked to begin with (I know people personality, and, as the saying goes). But I don't even study psychology & I have no desire to, so that's something.

I have to add though, last semester my skills tutor mentioned that we shouldn't read all the checklists for mental illness' like depression and apply them to ourselves, seeing as everyone pretty much admitted to doing that & decided we all had, well, at least some days where we'd fit the criteria for depression. Alternatively, are we all just over-diagnosing ourselves so that the psychologists in the world can make money? And the drug companies? For entertainment (crime/police tv shows)? ARGH. WHY is this shit so popular?

atm I'm trying to find somewhere where I can illegally download the Animal Collective dvd soundtrack; I love livejournal for its communities and random cd mixes made by people I'll never meet. I feel a bit inadequate though, because most of the bands I've never even heard of before which is why I like being with a group of friends who are, for the most part, teeny-boppers: I like feeling like I am the most 'alternative', even if I'm not.

In other news, I got a new phone on Saturday. it's a nokia and I'm suddenly on an Optus $29 plan & I've never been on a plan before, so its all a bit scary. And its a touch phone! Which actually doesn't piss me off as much as I thought, because, OMG IT HAS A KEYBOARD! I suck at technology though, it took me a while to work out it didn't have a sim card in it (it was in the Optus pack, not the nokia box, I presumed it was already installed). Anyway. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment