Sunday, July 25, 2010

clubbing

Last night/this morning I went clubbing. The last time I did this obscene activity was...eighteen months ago? I guess I went along with the plans of the evening, convinced myself I'd have a good time (after one drink). As the last two sentences suggest: I hated it, what a waste of $10, with the exception of 'Finally' off the Priscilla soundtrack. Oh, and the car-trip (yes, we drove) to Chapel St & then on to South Melbourne. This crowded place called Marquee had mostly terrible music, and not just by my high standards either, I swear! They played 'All This Love' by the Similou & fuck it brought me back to schoolies when I had just turned eighteen. And two friends got hitted on & god, it really was like schoolies, where people fully 'go for it' in public - people who've never actually met before & are just going for the 'pash & dash.' Dear god, I used to actually do this. And then I ran into a guy I work with (2 years younger than me) & thought shit, is everyone here Psych Students from RMIT? Like undergrads? Communicating via text message (draft, not send) was also a completely new thing for me. Work guy to Liz: "Gonna be fucked tomorrow". Go figure.

I'd forgotten what it was like to watch out for your friends (the ones who need watching out for, anyway) & use tactics to rescue them from unwanted male attention. To use glowsticks & mobile phones as lights to find sticks of lipgloss in handbags. How to push through people assertively yet not aggressively. Oh, and the top level we went to had those flashing lights that people with epilepsy must avoid and this, combined with my eye-make-up (good pencil eyeliner but very, very old eyeshadow that should be thrown out) was hurting my eyes. Did I mention that our group were pretty much the oldest people there? And full of bogans? Either I'm really old or a serious snob/bitch.

A message I sent/showed to friends (including work guy): "I think all the flashing makes my eyes sore. Mayb I'm just too old. I'm ok, just a bit bored and the music is SHIT motherfucker.' Too fucking true. And one friend (the one who drove) later at Maccas: "Why do all the guys I dance with in clubs have to sing out-of-tune in my ear? It just makes me laugh"
Aforementioned guy to me later (after friend had deliberately disappeared): "Are you friends with ____? She's a nice girl. I'm not a sleaze*, I like her...I'll be over there"

*if you claim not to be a sleaze, automatically you are one

Ah well, I guess you go for the experience. I woke up at 10:50am (haven't done that in years either) and now I feel so, so guilty because I should have gone for a walk & done homework by now. All I've done is eat porridge, send a few text messages, eat fruit, read the back page of The Sunday Age & The herald Sun. And I have a dinner to go to. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.

No comments:

Post a Comment