Sunday, October 24, 2010

highlights from cd commentary

Okay, so I made a mix cd for a lovely friend of mine from work who turned 21 almost two weeks ago. Here is the commentary for a few top picks:

Joy Division – She’s lost Control (Substance)
Lots of people who are significantly fucked in the head like myself are fans of Joy Division, especially if they’re female & like to pretend that ‘She’s Lost Control’ is a reference to themselves. Either way, I actually think it’s a good song too so it ended up on the cd. Please bare with me, it gets better.

Lior – Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young Cover)

Okay so you probably think I’m on speed by this point but I promise you I’m not & I’m definitely not injecting heroin, so don’t worry. I feel guilty for saying this, but Lior’s take on this Neil Young CLASSIC is so much nicer to listen to. My kind of stuff I like to fall asleep too. Just don’t listen to it loud when other people (esp family members, I’ve found) are around because they’ll think you’re on drugs.


Michael Jackson – Butterflies (Invincible)
I only knew this song after Michael died, which is so sad. I think I first heard it in the car with my mother (her wizz bang flash car actually has a cd player), who, along with all the other bogans in the world, bought the rest of the Michael Jackson cds they didn’t have the week he died. That morning was a repeat of September 11, where I went downstairs to make breakfast only to find the tv AND radio on (this only happens in a terrible world event) and my mother almost in tears. Anyway, the song is my favourite ever, alongside ‘Jam’ off the cd Dangerous.

Nostalgia 77 featuring Alice Russel – Seven Nation Army (White Stripes Cover)
I first heard this song in a bar called the Croft Institute on my 19th birthday. I was quite pissed, my friend bought me this 17 dollar cocktail with double campari & vodka & tonic water & I can’t remember what else and it was an amazing cocktail I finished it in about 10 minutes. Anyway, Alice Russel has one of those voices I was mentioning before and this is a really funky twist on a song that to some extent confirmed the success of the White Stripes & showed off Jack Black’s guitar riffs.

Queens of the Stone Age – No One Knows (Songs for the Deaf)
An old rock’n’roll track to really bang your head to. The last time I blasted it on the radio it was 8 o clock in the morning, at the Highett Rd/Bluff Rd intersection and everyone was driving 40k because of school time and god it was awkward. Anyway. Enjoy. Let loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment