Monday, August 1, 2011

Dot-pointed life update

1. Yesterday I went out for breakfast to Sugo with my parents, my sister, her partner & their two girls - aged 6 and 4 (?). Perfect blond children. The cafe/restaurant was warm, my food was cold, the coffee was nice. My mother bought along some colouring books to entertain the girls, except the girls have an iPad so this wasn't necessary. Cannot get over the fact that a six-year old knows how to use an iPad and I don't.

2. This morning I went to a yoga class. I tried a little bit harder this time, but I'm very disenchanted with the fact that the class is mostly full of middle aged-women who are sooo much better at yoga than me.

3. After a conversation with friends on a (civilised, sober) Saturday night, I felt a little bit better about my facebook addiction & realised that I'm avoiding writing job applications/getting a 'real' job. It was an epiphany moment. I feel too young to have a real job, and I "should" travel but I'm too scared. At least we all could relate so at least I'm not alone. Says my law-student friend: "All I wanna do is watch Boston Legal and eat cake."

4. Making playlists for my mother to put on her iPod is hard work. Ever since she discovered I posses music by the Beatles & really liked the sound of Kings of Convenience I've been meaning to put some stuff on her computer for her. It's the least I can do, she is my mother. So far there's lots of Kings of Convenience/Whitest Boy Alive, downtempo stuff, Nightmares on Wax & Fat-Freddy's Drop, my collection of the Bamboos (my mother is obsessed with them), and I added D'Angelo just because I can.

5. Am really not enjoying Social Policy and it's only Week 1. Always at the start of semester that I romantise university & have dreams about doing essays past midnight in my dressing gown & ugg boots with never-ending cups of herbal tea. In this dream my room is spotlessly clean and the only windows open on my computer are Microsoft Word and fifteen Adobe Acrobat journal articles. Even though it's my tenth semester at uni, this has still yet to happen. What bothers me about Social Policy is that the reading so far is very theoretically, way over my head, and very depressing. I like case studies and memoirs and inspirational lecturer/s, not theoretical bullshit that I a) can't absorb and b) seems irrelevant to current times? I think i like the idea of studying social policy more than I actually like the (core) subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment